Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Blame it on marketing?

My wife recently gave me two of my favorite '80s comedies: Blame it on Rio and Nightshift. I frantically teared open the boxes only to realize the original cover art--which in both cases was beyond tits IMO--was replaced by some new bullshit cover art! Now for my optometrist impression--which is better, number 1:or 2:One more time please--do you prefer number 1:or number 2:Shoulda stayed number 1 in both cases, right? Tastes change, I suppose. The era of the R-rated sex comedy is long gone. Perhaps they just don't know how to market these films anymore. Then why not just keep the original art? Maybe it looks dated? Probably just some licensing issue. Okay bye for now.

6 comments:

Walden Wong said...

The companies probably opted out of the Boobs and Butts to be more safe. Number 1 in both cases are more sexy IMO.

Daniel Fan said...

I'm sure your wife would have bought you the original cover art versions if they were available.

LardyRevenger said...

It's called the death of creativity at the hands of high-tech marketing. For an example of this watch any trailer from the 70's or 80's compared to the ones now where every trailer is practically identical. It's sad! Wait, maybe this means I'm old and I think everything is better from my day! Is old right? Was everything better! What if my rice crispies gets soggy!

dhp said...

yeah, you're probably right, WW. you just don't see dvd covers like this anymore. maybe the art seemed dated too.

i know you would've, df. :)

that's an age-old question, LR. Do you know who has taken the over the void created by death of trailer voice-over king Donald Leroy LaFontaine?

Garmonbozia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
A-Kos said...

Night Shift was such a great movie. "This is Chuck reminding Bill to shut up, Bill to shut up, Bill to shut up..."