Saturday, July 11, 2009

Sting made me cry today


My folks came by for a visit with a stack of beat-up LPs that had been collecting dust in their crawl space for 30 years. There was Saxon's Power and the Glory, The FIXX's entire catalogue, that Suzanne Vega record with "Luka" on it, Starship's Knee-deep in the Hoopla; I could continue but I think you get the picture--not too many keepers. I did notice an old Sting album from 1987--Nothing Like the Sun. I remember he did a great version of Jimi Hendrix's "Little Wing" on that record. So I'm hanging out with my baby in her Baby Bjorn and I start playing this song. Here's the chorus:

When I’m sad she comes to me
with a thousand smiles
she gives to me free


I look down at Claudia and she's smiling and having a great time and I realize she's my "little wing" that Sting is singing about! Always ready with a smile to lift me up and melt my heart at the same time. And then it hit me like a ton of bricks. Yup--the crying game. I wasn't expecting fatherhood to be so emotional.

5 comments:

Daniel Fan said...

I'm almost crying just reading your posting. What a lovely man you are...

LardyRevenger said...

I'm almost crying just reading your posting. What a lovely man you are...

Daniel Fan said...

Lardy's a meanie!

Anyanka said...

Nick LOOOOVES this picture! (and so do I).

dhp said...

thanks Anyankers--sorry to hear about the jizob. could be the best thing that ever happened to you tho, right?