Thursday, August 06, 2009

Gymskie

I work out at USF's Koret Gym near my house. It's a nice gym but they have lots of rules. Most of them make sense but others seem a little unnecessary. There's a bunch of signs that say "No jeans allowed in Cardio Alley." Jeans seem an odd choice for workout wear but why ban them? And why is the ban only applicable to Cardio Alley? Then, in the weight room, there's a sign that says "Do not leave personal items in one space while you work out. You must move keys and magazines and other items with you from station to station." Seems arbitrary and draconian.

One rule that I think is good applies to the locker room. It says "Out of respect for other members, once you've finished drying off, please wrap yourself in a towel immediately." I've worked out at a number of gyms where this rule should be in place. Like at Northpoint's 24 hour fitness. There was an elderly man with a pony tail who carried a crude walking stick with him out of the shower. He would handle all manner of his grooming completely naked. Took like an hour sometimes. And I watched every minute of it. Lardy, don't you party with that guy? I think I saw you two--along with the garbage bag showerer--at the Ocean beach windmills once.

2 comments:

Daniel Fan said...

Those rules are strange -- but I think the one about covering up right away makes sense.

LardyRevenger said...

Ha! That was an old super hairy chested Russian dude who watched me toweling off at my locker and leaned over and said, "Hey, Yu vant to partee." And I didn't understand him so he had to say it three times. But the third time wasn't the charm. When I finally understood what he was saying, I graciously said "no thanks." and ran out covering my butt.