Saturday, August 15, 2009

RIP, Eunice Kennedy Shriver

I realize this is yesterday's news, but I wanted to pay tribute to a great woman. Shriver's biggest claim to fame (beyond her maiden name) was founding the Special Olympics. I was flipping through some photos of the funeral and noticed a large number of S.O. athletes were in attendance. Initially I found it poignant that they wanted to pay respect to their great patron and champion.But I was aghast when I zoomed in on the second photo. One of the athletes appears to have a Dead Kennedys patch affixed to the front of his tracksuit. Now, someone no doubt planted this patch on the unsuspecting olympian, right? Maybe a group opposed to S.O.-funding was trying to discredit those with special needs. I'm not sure who's responsible--but in any event, it's unconscionable. Reminds me of that scene in The Hand that Rocks the Cradle when Rebecca De Mornay plants the daughter's underwear in Ernie Hudson's toolbox.

1 comment:

Daniel Fan said...

I think the S.O. athlete knowingly wore the patch -- to be ironic.