Monday, November 02, 2009

New font obsession: Eurostile extended

I spend a lot of time looking though font books while I'm at work. Came across the listing for Eurostile extended and was floored by how dope it was. What's weird is that because it's so ubiquitous, it's never really registered or been on my radar. Two words come to mind when looking at this typeface: futuristic and serious. Take a look at how it's being used today:See what I mean? Serious. Def-Con 4. The Terminator never fucks around. He's totally serious:The venerable granddaddy of newsmagazines, 60 Minutes, is serious: As is the local news and the Guardian:The tone of the Geico ad campaign isn't really serious--but the nature of their business is:Futuristic:Sometimes you can't explain why a font has been chosen:This photo is exposed perfectly (thanks anonymous Flickr person! Don't sue me!):Love this:

4 comments:

Walden Wong said...

I see that font on a lot of Warning and Hazard signs. In your face font. :)

Anyanka said...

I bet you would get a lot of hits if you did a Fonts blog.

Daniel Fan said...

My favorite font is Helvetica.

dhp said...

very in-your-face Waldy. It's also used quite a bit in sports graphics--you know, when the scoreboard is displayed on the telly. in boxing and in baseball. i got some work for you to do tomorrow, Waldorf. Andrew says you'll be in at 1?

great idea crank yankers--i'm realizing that's one of my themes I always come back to on my blog. perhaps I should specialize. naw, then it would get boring.

DF--that's not your favorite font. your favorite font is post-modern.