Monday, June 25, 2007

estate sales






Whenever I'm out and I see one of those pink estate sale signs, I have to go find the house and check it out. Nine times out of ten all you'll find are a bunch of Johnny Mathis records, some beat-up old fur coats and a table full of kitchen utensils, but you're always hoping for that Diebenkorn that some lucky asshole finds occasionally.

I'm actually kinda ripping off my photography teacher by posting these. That was her thing--the idea of the estate sale as this largely vacant space and searching for clues to the identity of the person who once lived there amongst all the crap that was left behind. I don't know if, after seeing this home, I know the person who lived there any more than that guy I walk past on the way to work--actually, that's not true--I know she was into art and Shakespeare and those large Nutcracker Christmas ornament things; but so are a lot of people, right? I don't know. Just check these photos out. Maybe you can figure out who this person was. And maybe then we can all go the funeral together.

1 comment:

Daniel Fan said...

That's an interesting idea -- the notion that estate sales provide some clue about the person's identity. I always find them kind of boring but based on your insight, I'm inclined to take a closer look...