Tuesday, June 05, 2007

font talk




I consider myself a fan of design. I like to keep a largely untrained eye on trends and developments in the industry. I'm interested in the psychology behind a given typeface or approach--what makes something work or not. And I'll tell you, one thing that isn't working for me anymore (don't know if it ever did) is the manner in which holistic/wellness services are advertised.

I'm not sure why it is, but it seems that designers in this field are only aware of one font and its numerous derivatives. You see this font (I think it's called humana serif) everywhere--promoting enemas, pot clubs, yoga, massage. Why are designers so enamored with it? Would it kill you to use something cleaner? Maybe a Gil Sans or a Century Gothic. Switch up your typeface and you've distinguished yourself in the marketplace--the one thing business people are always striving for. Perhaps they're afraid that consumers are so conditioned by that one font that they'd be confused by another one. Like McDonald's employing a blue trapezoid as opposed to the golden arches.

3 comments:

Daniel Fan said...

You're right -- those types of "spiritually inclined" places always use that font. Perhaps they think it has a soothing design element to it...

KT said...

I think it's just a very spiritual font. Insensitive people like ourselves probably can't feel the good vibes and auras.

dhp said...

yeah you're right kt - we're prob just unsophisticated philistines - that's why we don't get it.