Monday, February 09, 2009

Def scam?


So my wife and I are enjoying our grilled reuben sandwich combos at the Stonestown food court and I notice this dude approaching our table. He says nothing as he places an individually wrapped blue translucent plastic dolphin keychain beside my tray. Enclosed in the wrapper is a note which says I'm deaf--can you please help me...etc. We decided against purchasing the trinket. Tons of other people gave him like 2 or 3 bucks. So what do you fruits think? Would you have helped him out? How do you know if he's really deaf? Def scam or no?

Oh and here's a bonus pic of the Great Steak and Potato Company joint at Stonestown where we ate. They make a good hogie.

9 comments:

KT said...

Here's a reason not to:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9B0DE3DA143BF933A15754C0A961958260

:(

dhp said...

long time no blog-oyevich, KT. :)
yeah, I actually saw that while doing a little research for a follow-up posting--thanks for stealing my thunder! just playing. that definitely got me thinking. i wish I knew sign language and I could've asked him if he was being coerced into trinket peddling. I also could've written him a note--but that would've taken away from my reuben experience though. kidding.

i also came across this deaf guy's blog (http://thepathofinsanity.blogspot.com/2009/01/why-deaf-people-should-get-disability.html)
who ruthlessly catalogues every hardship and greivance in his life. His ex-wife fucked him over and they garnished his disabilitry payments! then his bank closed his account but he doesn't have a phone or any way of reopening his account--no deaf people assistance! Our lives really aren't that bad... seriously. I think we should all go to his blog and comment. He gets zero comments every time. Maybe someone could take him out for a drink--if they live near him.

Daniel Fan said...

I always feel guilty about not giving money after they leave...

Kennethwongsf said...

I only know one deaf person. I befriended her on Facebook. From what I know about her, I must say, most deaf people would be too proud to resort to such a gimmick. Many would be offended by the insinuation that they're disabled. The guy you met could be truly deaf, but he's also just cashing in on the milk of human kindness.

dhp said...

don't feel guilty, DF. guilty feet are the anti-rhythm.

perhaps I should've challenged him to game of chess, just like your facebook homie, KSF.. :)

Anonymous said...

I am not a d-bag nor a fruit!

dhp said...

oh shush your big trap, h headi! you're a big fruity d-d-bag!

Anonymous said...

This happened to me once, but they were selling unlicensed Tweety and manga character stickers combined. Licensing nightmare! --Annette

dhp said...

yeah--try running that one by Shueisha, right 'Netters? :)