Wednesday, October 28, 2009

New Yorker cartoons

My wife just got us a subscription to the New Yorker. We'd been talking about it for some time. We already take Newsweek thanks to my dad. We also used to get The Economist. That was way too overwhelming and dry. We desperately needed something between Newsweek and The Economist. The NYer fit the bill. Gives you a little bit of this and little bit of that. It can get overly high-brow but it also covers pop music and youth culture; albeit from a 40-year-oldish perspective.

Anyhow, beyond the writing, I always enjoyed the cartoons. Very simple one-panel and one-sentence cartoons. Always very topical and clever. But never really that funny. Wasn't there a Seinfeld that dealt with this? To get to the point, I've been reading a book on
meditation--and the point the author always come back to is that meditation is about blocking all the bullshit out and focusing on one thing--whether it be your breath counting, or your mantra or whatever brand of meditation you're practicing. And there was a quote by a famous Jewish holy man Baal Shem Tov that stuck with me. And I could just see that particular line being used in a New Yorker cartoon. So here you have my lame attempt at a New Yorker cartoon. How many more times can I say New Yorker in this post? New Yorker, New Yorker, New Yorker.

4 comments:

Daniel Fan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Daniel Fan said...

Sorry but I deleted my previous comment -- there was a cumbersome typo in it.

Anyhow this is one of my new favorite postings -- after Little Wing and No Space Between. Very impressive!

dhp said...

thanks DF! Didn't realize Little Wing was in your top 3.

Anyanka said...

What's the meditation book? e-mail me?