Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Hall and Oates's "Out of Touch"

contains one of the most satisfying choruses ever recorded in popular music. Listen to it now and tell me I'm wrong. I remember being blown away as a 10-year-old when it came on the radio during rides home from soccer practice. It's up there with "Back in Black," "Betty Davis Eyes," Don't Stop Believing," Dolly Parton's "9-to-5", The Scorpions' "Blackout," and all of Synchronicity in terms of its visceral impact on the tween psyche.

When I was listening to it on youtube the other day I noticed something interesting: there were tons of comments from a new generation of tweens who had discovered the song from from the video game Vice City; that's a shrewd move by the record execs--go to where the kids are and churn up some back catalog when no one's buying new shit.

note: photo is a view out my window one morning.

2 comments:

Daniel Fan said...

I'm not a huge fan of "Out of Touch" though I am of Hall and Oates in general. I love "Back in Black" and "Betty Davis Eyes" but none of the other songs you mentioned. I've never been a big Police fan I guess.

Anyanka said...

you should check out "The Bird and The Bee"'s rendering of Hall & Oates - though they don't do that song.